A lot of factors go into finding out what a family law lawyer costs, the level of knowledge the attorney has, and other things like location. This amount will differ considerably, but the average family lawyer cost is about $250, with prices ranging from $50 to $650 an hour in the US in 2019 according to legalmatch.com. Nevertheless, it is essential to understand the different fee structures used by attorneys, and what those legal fees typically cover.
*Disclaimer – These fees are always changing, and this is not an actual quote. If you need an experienced divorce lawyer contact Moshier Law to start your initial consultation.
Hourly rates are the most typical fee structure utilized by attorneys. Under these structures, the attorney charges based on the number of hours they’ve spent working your case. Flat fees are a general charge paid upfront and covers your whole legal representation.
A retainer fee is relatively like a down payment that is usually added to their hourly fee structure. The attorney’s client deposits the fee into the attorney’s account, and the attorney deducts from the fee as services are finished.
Average Family Lawyer Cost
The average family lawyer cost is about $250, with prices ranging from $50 to $650 an hour in the US in 2019 according to legalmatch.com.
Attorney’s fees may be changed based on the amount of representation they provide. Some examples include:
- A straightforward consultation in which the attorney hears the issue and offers some preliminary advice (a lot of initial consultations are free);
- Limited representation whereas the attorney will only handle certain parts of the case. For instance, divorce cases, the attorney might only handle the actual divorce itself but won’t deal in visitation issues or child custody:
- Full representation, whereas the attorney deals in all parts involved in the case from beginning to end.
An attorney’s fees will typically cover legal services like legal advice, their time, research and resources, along with their representation of you. Attorneys with a higher level of success and a lot of experience can charge up to $650 an hour but might be able to finish your case in less time than an attorney with less experience.
However, a new or less experienced attorney might charge no more than $50 per hour, but it could take them many more hours to complete your case. No matter their experience and hourly fee, the cost increases with the time the attorney takes on your case.
Adding to the attorney’s fees, you might be expected to cover some expenses related to your case. Some examples include:
- Travel and transportation fees, within reason;
- Filing fees; and
- Expert witness and court reported fees if needed; and
Prior to hiring an attorney, you should discuss all money issues with them to guarantee you’re on the same page and aren’t caught off guard when you get the bill. Any attorney needs to be willing to openly talk about the fee structure they use, in addition to giving explanations of more expenses and fees not covered by their fees.
What Is a Family Law Attorney?
Family law is the branch of the legal scope that manages issues relating to domestic relationships. Therefore, a family law attorney is an attorney that focuses on family law, in contrast to other types in the legal field.
Some of the more typical subjects included with family law include:
- Divorce and Marriage: This consists of prenup agreements, alimony, divorce, division of assets, and issues involving domestic violence. This may also include matters related to civil unions and domestic partnerships, compensation claims for marital costs, non-marital arrangements, and annulment processes;
- Issues Involving Children: This includes child(ren) custody, child neglect child support, adoptions, and abuse. This can also include paternity tests and fraud associated to paternity tests; and
- Other Family Law Issues: This includes emancipation, inheritance laws, “Power of Attorney,” name changes and estate issues.
It’s easy to see, family law attorneys can practice numerous different kinds of law underneath the family law umbrella. A lot of attorneys do practice the range of legal matters associated with family law.
Additionally, many attorneys who practice family law decide to specialize further. For instance, many attorneys specialize in adoptions, while others may focus solely on divorce and other related matters.
Need an Affordable Divorce Lawyer in Scottsdale?
Moshier Law should be your choice when you need the best divorce lawyer in Scottsdale. An experienced family law attorney will work with you to obtain the best possible outcome in your situation. We advocate for our clients so they have the brightest future possible. Give us a call today at 480-999-0800 for a free consultation.
- Peeler, Travis. “How Much Will a Family Lawyer Cost?” LegalMatch Law Library, 12 Nov. 2019, https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/how-much-will-a-family-lawyer-cost.html.
Divorce and Family Law
When a case demands litigation, you’ll have the benefit of 19 years of litigation experience in California and Arizona. But when a case demands collaborative law or mediation, you’ll know every option.