Divorce rates in the US have been going down since the early 1980’s. Read on to comprehend how conditions like locale, age and social media use influence divorce numbers. We will also examine the divorce rates of some celebrities and take a look at what can be learned.
In the early 2020’s more married people than ever are looking towards the internet to find options and counsel when they consider divorce resulting in a globally heightened rate of divorce filing, like:
- Australia is seeing requisitions for divorces increase by 200 %.
- In the United Kingdom continually sees a large growth in the number of divorce cases.
- Turkey is noticing divorce filings increase by 400 %.
- China is setting record amounts for the number of divorce cases.
- As courts closing in here at home, there’s been a big increase in individuals using mediation in their divorces.
Divorce Figures In the US
The conception that half of marriages end in divorce was admired in the 80s but studies have shown a downturn in the rate of divorce in the subsequent decades. Excluding people who get legally separated, here is the demographic breakdown:
- First Marriage: 42-45 % will end with a divorce as a consequence.
- Second Marriage: 60 % will end with a divorce as a consequence.
- Third Marriage: 73 % will end with a divorce as a consequence.
Another way of looking at these figures is:
- 22 % of women were divorced at one point.
- 21 % of men were divorced at one point.
- 11 % of women are divorced currently.
- 9 % of men are divorced currently.
The age analysis of those getting divorced is:
- Under 20 years of age: Women 28 %, Men 12 %
- 20 – 24: Women 37 %, Men 39 %
- 25 – 29: Women 16 %, Men 22 %
- 30 – 34: Women 9 %, Men 11 %
- 35 – 39: Women 5 %, Men 7 %
Specifics About Divorce
- There are approximately 2,400 divorces every day in the US signifying an average of $16,800 divorces every week along with upwards of $875,000 divorces per year.
- 8 years is the average length for first marriage that concludes with a divorce.
- During the course of a first marriage, there is a 20 % chance inside the first 5 years the marriage might conclude in divorce and/or separation and in a 10 year timetable that percentage will increase to 33 %.
- 33 is the average age when married couples begin the divorce process.
- 2 years is the average period an individual contemplating divorce before starting the process.
- Around 75 % of individuals who get divorced will sooner or later get remarried.
- If they opt to remarry, the average waiting time is 3 years.
- Love can occur again, 6 % of couples have reported remarrying following their divorce!
- The US Government stopped gathering divorce and marriage statistics back in the mid-90s, so the figures come from unrelated researchers along with the United States Census.
Divorce Figures By Region And State
- States that have the lowest divorce rates are Massachusetts, Texas, Iowa, Illinois, and Maryland in which around 1 and 3 of every 1,000 residents have been divorced from the year 2015.
- States that have the highest divorce rates are Oklahoma, Alaska, Wyoming, Nevada, and Arkansas in which around 4 and 5 of every 1,000 residents have been divorced from the year 2015.
Across the nation just over 9 out of every 1,000 US residents get divorced each year. This will range from a decrease in the Northeast part of the US for 7 for every 1,000 men and 7 for every 1,000 women to a high in the South part of the US of 9 for every 1,000 men and 9 for every 1,000 women (all each year.) The Midwest and Western areas all have figures around 9 for every 1,000 men and 10 for every 1,000 women each year for getting divorced.
From a political point of view, states with a greater propensity to vote Republican have higher rate of divorce than in states with a greater propensity to vote Democratically.
What Is The Chance Of Divorce?
The following elements have been known to increase the chance of a divorce:
- Differences in age.
- The amount of money spent on an engagement rings and the wedding ceremonies and the reception.
- Residing in a locality that has a high rate of missionary or conservative Protestants.
- Discussions with members of you family members or friends who have recently got divorced.
- There is a greater risk of divorce when your co-workers are the opposite sex.
- Moving in together and get married at a young age the greater the chance of divorce.
The following elements have been known to decrease the chance of a divorce:
- If your parents are a happily married couple, your probability of divorce lowers by around 14 %.
- If you have an income of more than $25,000 annually there is a less chance of getting divorced.
- If you have a baby at least 7 months following your marriage the probability you will get divorced lowers by 24 %.
- The chances of divorce fall by 13 % if you went to college.
- You are less probable to get a divorce is you don’t live together or marry before you reach age 23.
Children And Divorce Figures
- 16 % of minors are living in blended families whereas they are living with a stepsibling, half sibling or step parent.
- Children largely rebound from the emotionally negative effects of divorces 24 months following the divorce process, even so some might take longer, and this is especially the case amid divorce process whereas the parents have a good deal of conflict.
- In excess 80 % of divorce cases the mother is the one the children will primarily reside with.
Social Media Divorce Figures
- Affairs over the internet are the cause 1/3 of divorces.
- Facebook is the reason for 25 % of couples fighting at a minimum of once every 7 days.
- Social media activities of their partner is the reason for at least 1 in 7 married people to consider getting divorces.
- 20 % of people found themselves uneasy in their relationship when they discover something upsetting on the Facebook account of the other.
Gray Divorce Figures
- Gray divorces (terminology used for those getting divorced around the ages of 54 and 64) has increased 4X in the past three decades.
- 30 years ago, a mere 10 % of divorces were for individuals over the age of 50, however, in 2010, it was the reasoning for 20 % of all divorces.
- Roughly 20 ago only 45 % of older Americans thought divorce was righteously sound. That had elevated to just short of 70 % in 2014.
- Match.com has witnessed the interest of divorce go up nearly 40 % as of 2014 in traffic from internet users of 55 or older.
- 2/3’s of these types of divorces are started by females.
Specifics About Celebrity Divorces
- Only $ 245,000,000 was the divorce settlement that was paid by Mel Gibson to his ex, in 2009. It is typically thought of as the biggest celebrity involved in a divorce settlement.
- Zsa Zsa Gabor got divorced 7 times!
- Britney Spears has the honor of the shortest marriage! Just 56 hours was the length of marriage with Jason Alexander prior to them getting an annulment.
- Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds lasted 2 whole weeks of married bliss.
- Kris Humphries and Kim Kardashian lasted just 72 days.
- Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley were married for 9 months.
Have you ever watched “The Real Housewives” TV shows? The overall divorce rate is over 33 % with the Real Housewives of D.C. having a divorce rate of 100 %! The newest entry to the shows, The Real Housewives of Dallas have yet to get go to divorce courts and are at the other end of the scale with 0 %. Those Real Housewives of Beverly Hills get divorces a little under 31 % of the time, the ladies in Miami accomplish getting divorced a little under 43 %. The Real Housewives of New Jersey let their side down with a insignificant divorce rate of a little over 11 %. The ladies in Orange County helps with a divorce rate getting close to 24 %. Despite that, the Real Housewives of New York 50 %, Potomac 50 %, and Atlanta 60 %, back the affirmation the eastern states are ample for getting a divorced.
- Michelle N. OgborneEngaging with an attorney to protect your family is never an easy step. Whether you need to protect your family from the unthinkable or restructure your family through collaborative divorce. (2020, October 04). Divorce Statistics: How Many Marriages End in Divorce – Ogborne Law. Retrieved October 08, 2020, from https://ogbornelaw.com/divorce-statistics/
Divorce Attorney in Scottsdale & Phoenix, Arizona
Moshier Law is your first choice for when you need the best divorce lawyer in Scottsdale and Phoenix, Arizona. Moshier Law should be your choice when you need the best divorce lawyer in Scottsdale. An experienced family law attorney will work with you to obtain the best possible outcome in your situation. We advocate for our clients, so they have the brightest future possible. Give us a call today at 480-999-0800 for a free consultation.
Divorce and Family Law
When a case demands litigation, you’ll have the benefit of 19 years of litigation experience in California and Arizona. But when a case demands collaborative law, or mediation, you’ll know every option.