In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Adult” means a person eighteen years of age or older.
2. “Agency” or “adoption agency” means a person other than the division licensed by the division to place children for adoption, including an attorney or law firm.
3. “Agency placement adoption” means an adoption proceeding in which one or more of the requisite consents are given to an agency pursuant to section 8-107, subsection D, paragraph 1.
4. “Child” means any person under eighteen years of age.
5. “Custody” means a status embodying all of the following rights and responsibilities:
(a) The right to have the physical possession of the child.
(b) The right and the duty to protect, train and discipline the child.
(c) The responsibility to provide the child with food, shelter, education and health care, and the authority to consent to surgery or other extraordinary medical care in an emergency.
6. “Direct placement adoption” means an adoption proceeding in which one or more of the requisite consents are given to a particular person pursuant to section 8-107, subsection D, paragraph 2.
7. “Division” means the department of child safety.
8. “Juvenile court” or “court” means the juvenile division of the superior court.
9. “Permanent guardian” means a legal guardian appointed by the court pursuant to section 8-871.
10. “Petitioner” includes both petitioners under a joint petition.